Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Egg Hunting




Jarrett and Avery had three Egg Hunts this past weekend. The first was with Jarrett's Pre-K class. Jarrett's teacher was very kind in letting Avery participate in the Egg Hunt. Neither one found the gold or silver eggs hidden in the playground, but both did pretty good. Jarrett found 6 eggs and Avery 8!

On Saturday we took the kids to the post-wide Egg Hunt that was also held at the center Jarrett goes to for Pre-K. I could not believe how many people showed up. I am so glad we live within walking distance since people had to park & walk due to lack of space. The morning started out well. We waited with about 300 other people for the kids to be separated by age and for the hunt to start. As the CDC staff started the "Ready, Set,..." the Easter bunny walks into the playground. Jarrett & Avery freak out. At the same time the gun goes of signaling the beginning of the hunt. Avery calms down the quickest & we actually lose her in the egg hunt. Jarrett was harder to convince that the egg hunt would be fun. About 2 feet in front of him was a egg that all the kids missed. It took so much pleading with him just to get him to pick up the egg. (Parents were told not to touch the eggs - just the child). We found Avery and even with her late start she did better than we expected.

Post-wide Egg Hunt: Jarrett - 1 egg Avery - 20 eggs








The Easter bunny and egg hunt left Jarrett in such a mood that Daniel took him home right way. Avery, Samuel, & I lingered an extra half hour talking to friends. (In case you were wondering Samuel did great at the egg hunts. He was nestled snugly against my back in our Ergo carrier - Daddy just didn't take pictures.) When Avery & I made it home, I was feeling bad for Jarrett so I decided the kids could have one last egg hunt. I found the plastic eggs we saved from last year & was about to fill them up when I remembered other than a bag of M&Ms I didn't buy Easter candy. I made do with money, M&Ms, jellybeans, & even recycled some of the candy we got from the earlier hunts. I "hid" the eggs in our back yard while the kids watched from the window. It took Avery & Jarrett about 5 minutes to find all the eggs. There was one egg that had a dollar bill inside it. Jarrett picked it up, but thinking it was empty toss it back on the ground. Avery didn't care if it sounded empty - she wanted the eggs. When all was said & done Jarrett had collected 28 eggs and $2.45. Avery walked away with 31 eggs and $4.55. Both kids said their favorite egg hunt was the one we did in our backyard.

Apparently Jarrett's egg finding skills come from Daniel's side of the family. Daniel was talking to his parents while the kids had their last egg hunt. They recalled several egg hunts in Daniel's childhood that resulted in his younger sister finding the majority of hidden eggs. So that Daniel would feel better, their parents would have to give Daniel some of his sister's eggs.

Our Easter Sunday was pretty low key. We went to church and Jarrett impressed their Sunday School teacher with his account of the Easter Story. Ms. Melissa started the class saying "Jesus is risen" and Jarrett responded right on cue "He is risen, INDEED!" I taught Jarrett that phrase when we were listening to Air1 Friday morning & the DJs were talking about that Easter tradition. We had forgotten to remind Jarrett what to say at church & it wasn't until the kids & I were watching an animated video "He is Risen," that Jarrett told me about their Sunday School discussion. The kids were so excited to tell anyone who will listen that on Easter Sunday, the angels blew their trumpets and Jesus came out of the tomb!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Cute idea with the money! I like that better than candy. I'm not too fond of the Easter bunny either, so I can empathize with Jarrett.